It’s that time of year again! Time to fire up the grill and get ready to pawty! Well maybe not, since the 4th of July can be one of the worst holidays for pets and pet parents. The truth is that pets, especially dogs, and fireworks just don’t mix. And it’s no wonder why. A dog’s hearing is in some cases hundreds of times better than our own and this can lead to stress and anxiety during this holiday.
Did you know July 5th is the busiest day of the year for animal shelters? It’s true. About 30 percent of all “lost” animals occur during 4th of July celebrations.
With this in mind, we have gathered some useful tips and tricks to keep your pet safe and calm during the festivities.
How to Keep Your Dog Calm During Fireworks
- Get lots of playtime and exercise during the day. This will help your pet feel tired and calmer during the evening fireworks show.
- Buy a new toy. If your pet loves to play with toys, this is the perfect time to spoil them and get a toy that might keep them distracted. There are many interactive pet toys available that are designed to entertain your dog or cat for longer periods.
- Keep your pet inside and create a safe space for them. It can be helpful to have the TV or radio on to drown out the loud noises outside. If you can, turn on a calming playlist or ambient noise. (Pro tip: You can find pet-friendly playlists on Spotify such as this: Calm Dog Music.) Keep the curtains closed and opt for dim lighting. Don’t forget to keep your pet’s bed cozy with their favorite toy or extra pillows.
- Try an anxiety wrap. Like a warm hug or a swaddle for an infant, pet anxiety wraps can help to calm the nerves of your pet.
- Act cool. Our pets pick up on emotional stress and anxious behavior. Be sure to remain calm so they know they have nothing to worry about.
- Try CBD. Whether in tinctures (CBD Oil Drops), treats (Bark Nuggets), or powder (Bark Dust), MaxDaddy offers high quality CBD pet products that can keep your pet feeling calm when anxiety strikes. All MaxDaddy products are third-party lab tested for purity and potency.
When in doubt, always give your pet extra cuddles. Everyone wins!
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. MaxDaddy products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Sign up with your email address to receive MaxDaddy news and product updates along with notification of special discounts on MaxDaddy products offered at various times during the year.